Monday, February 8, 2010

Ever Feel Left Out?

Few things bless me more in ministry than the children of the church. From my earliest days as a pastor, through all those years as an editor and publisher and in every place I have served since, they have both warmed my heart and challenged my faith. Even when they do not speak, they speak just by being who and what they are. No wonder Jesus rebuked those who wanted in his presence to shunt them aside.

Stories abound in my relationships with children and youth over generations--some funny, some sad, and some memorable for other reasons that need not be shared here. What has seemed remarkable to me in all of them--or mostly all--is that they have never shunted me aside when and if I have come to them with love and respect for them as God's children.

Before preaching from the Epiphany text in Luke 4 on Jesus' return to his home town in Nazareth, I asked them if they ever felt "left out" as he soon did. I wanted them to know that all too often even in our lives "Jesus Stands Outside the Door" (Hymnal, No. 327). The look on their faces confirmed what I have come to know about each of them. In their childlike way there is room in their heart for him. Will their continuing presence in our lives cause us to be as childlike in our faith and love for the Lord? Watch their faces and be blessed as I was--and challenged.

Cildren's Moment - 1/31/10 - Jesus in Nazareth from rooted wings on Vimeo.