Friday, January 30, 2009

'Count Your Blessings, Name Them One by One'


Day by day, I realize how blessed I am as a family man--husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. Alyce and I have two daughters, three sons, their wonderful spouses, 15 grandchildren, and 6 great-grandchildren. The three above belong to Paul and Kristin--Annika, Colin, and Kajsa--our miracle girl, born with only half a heart, now over six and thriving. They are shown above frolicking last summer in the hammock down by Lake Kawaguesaga in Minocqua, Wuisconsin. Annika is her father's princess, and Colin her mother's little prince. Lady Kajsa rules the whole roost, as she richly deserves after all she has been through. Increasingly themselves as they grow and develop--caught up in their own worlds of school, play, and imagination--they remain nonetheless one in blessing each other, their doting parents, and our whole family relation.

Now enjoying their presence on my desktop screen every day for awhile, I find myself praying that as they mature they will understand fully how blest they are just to be who they are in a family that so lovingly and patiently supports them. I am also interceding for them, that they in turn may become a blessing to others, helping to create in this divided world the sense of family and security they have known since birth, the blessing God intends for all his children everywhere.

Bless you, Princes Annika! Bless you, too, Prince Colin! And bless you also, Lady Kajsa!

Then Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me bless his holy name. Yes! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and do not forget all his benefits ..." (Psalm 103:1,2).