Monday, November 16, 2009

Get It Right!

Early yesterday in preparing for story time in Children's Church, I was writing a little bookmark I had in mind for each of the children. The idea had been brewing in my mind through the day on Saturday and on waking I knew exactly what next steps were. First, compose and save it. Second, duplicate as many as would fit on one page, which turned out to be six. Third, print as many time six as I felt were needed. Fourth, trim them all in my paper cutter. Fifth, make sure they were as uniform as possible, stick them in my shirt pocket, and get to church in time.

Simple enough, if only I get it right. I thought I had, having printed and trimmed the first set of 30. But a quick look sent be back to the beginning, for the text was not right poetically. "The kids will never know," I reasoned. But I knew, and though time was running out I decided to redo the whol;e thing. Get it right, for your own sake and the kids!

Three printing and trimmings later, it was domne, and just in time. The message was right, the printing clear, and the trim fairly uniform, Was all that important? You bet. Everything one does for the Lord and his people should be done right. It will never be perfect. Accept that. But thank God for conscience to do it right. The results follow, the essentials of the story I told the children, with the final question to them, Are You Open to God?" Just something to give their folks on going home, about which they might ask any questions on words they did not understand.

Be Open

God has done
everything
for us all.

He made us
redeems us
sustains us.

He's coming
again to
transform us

All we need
to do is
believe that

And be open
to his work
in our hearts


JRH
11/15/09