Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wholeness Is More Than Wellness

It has been an extraordinary day with family at our cabin in Wisconsin. Good food, varied activities, an evening watching baseball and "The Wizard of Oz," mostly I think just hanging out.

Arden Almquist, the late missionary doctor in Africa who was to become the leader of our world mission program in the Covenant, once wrote in "Debtor Unashamed" that he learned far more from the Africans that they did from him. Among the many of those things was that "presence is more important than talk." At the end of this remarkable day I am reminded how true that is.

Wholeness in family relations, as in each of our individual lives, is far more important than wellness, desirable as it is to be well. And the sense of wholeness we all need comes of being with others--not least our own family members--and allowing them the space and time in our lives it takes to build relationships and foster life-long memories.

Annika, Colin, and Kajsa, Paul and Kristin's children, have been just delightful this day, from morning till night. And we have been unhurried enough to enjoy their playful spirits. The mutual love they and their parents have over years for Hembygden, the family cabin where we now find ourselves again--not to mention all the stories that have accrued to it over 60 years since my parents first ventured to build it--are themselves part of the fabric that has made and is still making us whole human beings.

It is all to easy, not least when health questions for ourselves and one another vie for our attention, to isolate ourselves in fear and anxiety. What I have been blessed by this day is the way in which just being together in the richness of family experience and memory heals the soul, even if not entirely the body.

One is reminded of that occasion when after healing a certain person in New Testament times Jesus asked, "Do you want to be made whole?" "Yes, Lord," I find myself responding tonight.

Jesus' question is surely worth pondering again and again. You can be well, you know, without ever being whole. And life has taught me over and over again that even believers who are not well physically can be and often are surprisingly whole people.

If given a choice, I would rather be whole than well. And on a day like this, when wholeness moved in on me like waves from the sea, I found myself praying with thanksgiving, "Do it again, Lord. Free me from all lesser concerns in my life that I may yearn more and more for the wholeness you are ever ready to supply.