Friday, June 26, 2009

Fascinating Opportunities!

A whole new Revolution is upon us, almost cosmic in nature, full of enormous opportunities for good and ill. We cannot shut ourselves off from it because it fills the air we breathe. It's a tecnological revolution, cascading daily and one could say exponentially into every area of contemporary life. We often bemoan its misuses, and rightly so. But we should not hunker down and shut ourselves off from the wondrous possibilities for good it also lays before us.

My fascination with technology goes way back to my days as a student in Seminary, when my brother Zenos awakened my curiosity by introducing me to Heath and Dyna kits--high fidelity instruments that came in kits you could build, all the way from tuners to amplifiers to massive speakers.

Later, as computers began to emerge, I was fascinated by the opportunities they offered me as a leader in Covenant Communications. Beginning modestly we went from several round-trips a day to deliver and pick up typesetting in downtown Chicago to producing copy right in our offices at Covenant Headquarters. We also started a denoimination-wide program in video, as well as an in-house photocopy and print shop.

Approaching retirement, I knew I wanted to develop a website and blog where I could give expression, daily if desired, to the whole of life--from continuing reflections on the roots from which we I have come to the wings those roots are meant to supply. With the expert help of my grandson Christopher in California, who lives and works daily in the tech world, we finally launched this website and blog in April a year ago. It was no April Fool either, as things have developed and still are emerging.

Last month Scott Jenson, a young videographer from our church with whom I have been studying Bible weekly for sometime, suggested to his manager at a local access TV channel in White Bear Lake that he would like to do a brief video for Channel 19 on "a 79 year old who is into the tech world."

The brief video here reproduced is the result, well done even if he did have me crawling under my desk to reset some cords! My fascination with it all is clear. I am, of course, but a novice in this ever-emerging world of tech, but I am not intimidated by it. In fact I find it fascinating and engaging. Moving forward I am learning a lot. And linked to Facebook and Plaxo I am now even in touch with friends old and new all over the world. Who but a few years ago would have believed it?